Chapter 1. Introduction
1.1 What is AspEmail?
1.2 What's New in AspEmail 5.3
1.3 AspEmail Feature Summary
1.4 System Requirements
1.6 Uninstalling AspEmail and EmailAgent
AspEmail is an active server component for sending e-mail messages
using an external SMTP server in an ASP or VB environment.
AspEmail supports multiple recipients,
multiple file attachments, HTML format, embedded images and sounds,
non-US ASCII character sets, secure mail, and high-performance message queuing.
AspEmail's basic functionality, including file attachment and HTML support,
is absolutely free. Premium features
require a registration key after a 30-day evaluation period.
A copy of AspEmail can be downloaded from www.aspemail.com/download.html.
AspEmail 5.3 offers support for DomainKeys Identified Mail (DKIM), a method by which the sender
digitally signs the message to prove it really comes from the domain it claims
to have come from. DKIM is implemented by the new SendCertified method described
in Section 5.5 of this User Manual.
- Sends e-mail using an external SMTP server programmatically.
- Supports multiple recipients, CC's, BCC's, Reply-To's, file attachments.
- Supports HTML format.
- Embedded images and sounds (multipart/related).
- Sends messages in both HTML and text formats (multipart/alternative).
- Secure mail in the S/MIME format, when used in tandem with
- Various SMTP authentication methods.
- Transport Layer Security (TLS) support.
- DomainKeys Identified Mail (DKIM) support.
- High-volume message queuing support.
- Deferred message delivery.
- NNTP support.
- Memory attachments.
- Up to 64 simultaneous SMTP sessions when sending out queued mail.
- Multiple attempts to resend a failed message.
- Bounced message handling.
- Full Unicode support in message body and headers.
- Advanced logging.
- Secure Socket Layer (SSL) on port 465 support. NEW!
- Windows NT • 2000 • XP • 2003 • Vista • 2008 • 7 • 2012 • 8 • 2016;
- IIS with ASP or ASP.NET (any version) or,
- Any other development environment supporting COM.
The AspEmail package is comprised of the following executable files:
The setup application aspemail.exe downloadable from the AspEmail.com web site
automatically installs all these files along with the documentation and code samples.
- AspEmail.dll - the actual AspEmail component library.
All other files are only needed if message queuing is used.
- EmailAgent.exe - the EmailAgent Windows service running in the background
to send queued mail.
- EmailAgentCfg.cpl - the EmailAgent configuration applet appearing in Control Panels.
- EmailLogger.dll - the logging component which provides programmatic access to the EmailAgent log file.
In case you need to install the product manually, do the following:
1. Place the file AspEmail.dll in any directory on the server, and register it
using the regsvr32 command-line utility:
Unless you wish to use message queuing, you are done. If you want to utilize
the EmailAgent Windows service for background processing of queued messages,
install the EmailAgent files as follows:
2. Place the file EmailAgent.exe in any directory on the server and register it
by executing the following command:
The EmailAgent service should now appear in the Services Control Panel, under the name
Persits Software EmailAgent. Note that previous versions of EmailAgent (prior to 5.0)
appear in the Services list under the name Persits Software Email Agent
(with a space between the words "Email" and "Agent").
3. Copy the file EmailAgentCfg.cpl into the \system32 directory of your Windows
4. Register EmailLogger.dll the same way as aspemail.dll using regsvr32.
To uninstall AspEmail manually, shut down IIS (net stop iisadmin /y) and
stop EmailAgent from Control Panels.
1. Unregister aspemail.dll and emaillogger.dll as follows:
c:\AspEmail>regsvr32 /u aspemail.dll
c:\AspEmail>regsvr32 /u emaillogger.dll
2. Delete the file EmailAgentCfg.cpl from the \system32 directory.
3. Uninstall EmailAgent by executing the command